"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest."
Join the DarusSalam community in building a habit of reciting Qur'an, sending Salawat upon Rasulullah (S), and performing istighfar!
The benefits and virtues of reciting the Holy Qur'an, sending salawat upon Rasulullah (S), and performing istighfar are numerous. Along with bringing great barakah into our lives, these acts of 'ibadah are a means by which Allah (SWT) elevates our rank in Jannah.
Though it may be challenging to make a habit of tilawah, salawat, and istighfar individually, there is strength in numbers! Join the DarusSalam community in our goal of collectively completing hundreds of Qur'an khatams and millions of salawat and istighfar each month. On the final Thursday of the month, a collective du'a is made after 'isha.
Upcoming monthly du'a dates:
November 24, 2022
December 29, 2022
January 26, 2023
February 23, 2023
Submit your dhikr toward our community goal
Tracking and submitting your dhikr is a great way to keep yourself accountable. Furthermore, we are hopeful that setting and achieving this lofty goal as a community will attract the special mercy of Allah (SWT) unto our community and homes, inshaAllah.
Track your progress
Download and print our Salawat and Istighfar tracking cards! You may also pick them up from the masjid lobby.
Download Salawat tracking card
Download Istighfar tracking card
How can I make a habit of dhikr?
Dhikr should be an integral part of every believer's life. Allah (SWT) says in the Holy Qur'an: "O believers! remember Allah abundantly, and glorify Him morning and evening." (33:41-42). Though we may often find it challenging to find time in our day for it, we should make an effort to prioritize and build a daily routine of dhikr. Below are a few tips to help us accomplish this, inshaAllah.
- Keep a tasbih/tasbih counter with you at all times. Whenever you find some free time between classes/meetings/chores, do some dhikr.
- It is common habit to reach for our phones when we are unoccupied with anything else or trying to 'kill time'. Instead of your phone, reach for your tasbih.
- Allocate 5 to ten minutes after salah for dhikr.
- Keep a set time in the day for dhikr. An effective method is to tie your dhikr to another habit that you perform regularly, i.e. after salah, during a workout, on your commute, before bed, etc.
- Engage in friendly competition with family and friends to see who performs the most dhikr.
- Start with a small goal and gradually increase it weekly. Starting with a huge goal right away may lead to burnout.
Istighfar (Seeking Forgiveness)
The benefits of istighfar are numerous. Click each item below for more detail.
▽ Fullfillment of Allah's command
▽ Protection from punishment
▽ Barakah and mercy
▽ Relief from worry and stress
▽ Likeness to Prophet (S)
▽ Forgiveness for our sins
▽ Admittance to Jannah
Many du'as for istighfar have been related to us. Below are a few common du'as. Click the link at the bottom for more.
▽ أَسْتَغْفِرُ ٱللَّٰهَ
▽ اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ رَبِّي لا إِلَهَ إِلا أَنْتَ خَلَقْتَنِي وَأَنَا عَبْدُكَ وَأَنَا عَلَى عَهْدِكَ وَوَعْدِكَمَا اسْتَطَعْتُ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا صَنَعْتُ أَبُوءُ لَكَ بِنِعْمَتِكَ عَلَيَّ وَأَبُوءُ لَكَ بِذَنْبِي فَاغْفِرْ لِي فَإِنَّهُ لا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلا أَنْتَ
▽ لَّا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ